Today I had the opportunity to assist with communion prep between 9:00 and 11:15 service and after the 6 pm service. I attended the 6 pm service.
We're in the middle of a series on Psalm 23. Today was on Psalm 23:5. "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. Pastor Matt had a full dining room table set up, complete with ham dinner (honey baked ham as a matter of fact).
Anticipatory
God prepares a table for us, he knows in advance what will happen to us. He prepares a table for us, to nourish us for whatever comes our way. To provide a place for us.
Appropriate
In the presense of mine enemies. When things are rough, God is there saying "here, I have what you need, what is needed for you, right now" He wants us to sit with him, not becuase we deserve it, but because he takes care of us.
I was listening and didn't bother to write down the other verses he used during the sermon, but remember the main points.
Hmm, forget the A word he used with this one..... Acceptance maybe?
He anoints my head with oil (in ancient culture hosts anoined their guests with oil, it ackolwedged their worth, their belonging and the host's desire to honor the guests). God wants us to be known as his children, he has anointed us and we are His, always.
Abundance
My cup overflows. God doesn't stop granting us almost enough or nearly enough or even enough, he overflows us with his grace.
His preparations for us in times of good and in times of trouble are always Anticipatory, Appropriate, the other word I forget and abundant.
In Jesus: He knew from the beginning Jesus would be necessary, Jesus death is the appropriate punishment for our sins, Jesus died for us and accepts us as we are and God's love for us and Grace is abundant.
To complete the meal, it was communion Sunday and we all shared in the Eucharist.
Then I washed/dried/recupped and put away communion trays. (15 of them after this service, more this morning). Sunday evening service is now over for the summer, they will restart Sun. evening in the fall. So services will be 6 pm Saturday, 9 and 11 Sunday.
This is my church: www.woodmenvalley.org. This week's sermon should be up in mp3 and streaming video in a couple of days. This is sermon 5 in this series.
Also today: Did homework (instead of just talking about it, what a concept). I have about 3 sentences to go on a paper, will submit it in the morning and then start on my next assignment.
I exercised (t-tapp),
made dinner (breaded pork chops, corn on the cob and scalloped potatoes, see recipe blog "Dining with the Mauzys" for details.
Cleaned the bathroom
did dishes
played a video game with Anthony.
Bought blueberries at Costco, blueberry muffins on the docket for tomorrow.
Also played Cityville and Gardens of Time and watched 2 DS9 (season 6) episodes with Byron
Why Digital Players Love Online Games
1 day ago
I love my church, too. It's so good to have a local group to meet and worship with! So encouraging! God knew what He was doing!
ReplyDelete