Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cruise Day 7 - our last full day

Our last day was a sea day. It was nice and relaxing. So relaxing in fact that Byron didn't leave the cabin till nearly 1 or 2!

We slept in, me till about 8 (late for me) and Byron till about 10:30.  We had the usual coffee, fruit and yogurt delivered to the cabin. I got dressed and wandered down to Deck 3 atrium lobby (which had become my usual "hang out spot") and was playing on my ipad and  people watching.  Some came and sat on the couch I was on and said they were waiting for trivia.  The sofas seat about 7, so I said sure, have a seat, I just need this one spot.

A bit later I wandered off to the Internet lounge to get some things done and checked our sign & sale balance and as it was payday back home,  my bank balance.  Coming back to the sofa, it was close to trivia time.  The wives of the men came over and we were chatting. I'm a special ed teacher and so was one of the wives, so we talked shop for a bit and then trivia started. They invited me to join their team.  I hadn't played before and this was round 3 of 3.

It was great fun, though I didn't know these people from Adam.  Ends up it was two family groups who had met on the first trivia day.  I was able to help the team out of a bit an a couple of answers I knew and they didn't and another answer I did know but they went with another answer (I was right).  In any case, they had been in first place at the beginning of the round and I helped lead them to victory!  Since I wasn't in the game from round one, when they offered me a prize I didn't pick the ship on a stick.  But I did get a medal and a pirate hat. They offered me a sombrero but I declined saying it wouldn't fit in the suitcase.

I went upstairs and on the way ran into Putu, our Cabin Steward who asked if Byron was still sleeping. The do not disturb was still up. I said I didn't know, but that's what I was coming to see. Byron was up, but on the balcony reading. He was having a very slow, relaxing start to the day.  I suggested he dress and we wander about so that Putu could get in the room. Byron decided this meant he'd start packing ????  So he did. I wasn't in the mood to pack, so I watched the "debarkation" video on TV and went over the Fun Times to see what was going on.

Eventually we went to lunch at the buffet (and Putu was at last able to get in the room and do room steward things).  Now that I'm home I dearly miss having a room steward . It was nice.  At the buffet I don't remember what I had.  Oh yeah, it was turkey dinner day (just what I always want to eat on Good Friday). Anyway, I had turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, salad and a roll.  I had some sort of lime "cheesecake" which had some texture that wasn't like cheesecake - it wasn't bad, not at all. It just wan't what I thought of when I think "cheesecake" Byron had some thing, he doesn't remember.

After lunch we wandered through the last day art auction for a couple of minutes.  We wandered through the Pixels shop the last time and picked one more picture to get (total of 2 for the cruise).  



After choosing our picture we went back to the cabin and I started packing.  One drawer I called the "scary drawer."  Most of the drawers we'd kept nice and neat (mostly) and it was fairly easy to pack.  One drawer had misc. receipts and random jewelry I'd taken off in the evenings, but not put away properly, and random other things.   I packed "scary drawer" last.  We left out clothes for debarkation day and started clearing out toiletries and things that I could and saved the minimum for the next morning.  Our lovely trip was coming to an end.

After awhile we headed down to the Atrium lobby for a "Q&A Session" with Troy and Adam (cruise director and assistant cruise director).  It was great fun and lasted an hour.  Lots of questions asked and answered.  

It was 5:30 by this point and dinner was at 8:15.  We headed up to the room to relax for awhile and get ready for dinner.  We left for dinner early and stopped by the tasting area (where they give samples of food from various restaurants (some on this ship/all ships and some on other ships).   We sat and relaxed and looked out the window.




Last night dinner in the Main Dining Room.

Starter:
Me: Baked Sweet Potato Soup (I thought it was very good and flavorful)
Byron: Navy Bean Soup (he liked it)

Main:
Prime Rib for both, steamed vegetables for me, baked potatoes for both

Dessert:
Warm Melting Cake for Both (with coffee)

Beverage: Our usual (Kendall Jackson for me and Barefoot Cabernet for him)

Also our dining room team brought us a piece of cake  (cappacino pie) with a candle, announced our 25th anniversary and sang to us (and had us kiss for the duration of the song!)  A round of applause from neighboring tables ensued.

We thanked our dining room staff and wished our head waiter a good trip home (he was going home for his several week long break the next day).

We went back to the room and started some last minute packing.  Byron was filling out our luggage tags and going over our customs declaration form.  The phone rang, it was the friends from cruisecritic we'd see a few other tines, the family who had helped me when I'd lost my wallet on Cozumel.

We'd talked all along about seeing each other's rooms.  So they came over and toured our Ocean Suite on Deck 7 and then we went down to Deck 6 and saw their Aft Wrap (oh my goodness that balcony is HUGE and gorgeous).  We visited for awhile. Byron really liked that room. I also peeked over the divider to the next balcony and saw the "extended aft balcony."  I think I'd like this class room.

We were about to head back to our room when I went to see what time it was and reached in my pocket for my cell phone -- no phone. Ooops.  (As I was using my phone as my camera I had it with me nearly all the time, in airplane mode, with a global data block and data turned off).  I *knew* I had my phone in the elevator to dinner.  I hadn't seen it since.  I went to guest services, but it hadn't been turned in.  The staff there suggested I check again in the morning as any crew who found it would turn it in at the end of their shift (and not mid shift) and in any case, the next day was debarkation day/embarkation day for the next guests and the ship would be thoroughly gone over in the night to prepare for the switch.

I went back upstairs, we checked everything one last time for debarkation and it was time to sleep in our cabin for the last time.

1 comment:

  1. That is a lovely photo of you two Jan :) So nice to see all the posts and hear about your cruise.

    ReplyDelete